Embarking on a wildlife safari in Nepal is an extraordinary adventure that promises to immerse you in the country’s rich biodiversity and stunning natural landscapes. Among the top destinations for this unforgettable experience are Chitwan National Park and Bardia National Park. Each parks offers its unique charm and an opportunity to encounter a diverse array of wildlife.
Chitwan National Park:
Located in the Terai lowlands of southern Nepal, Chitwan National Park is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and one of the most popular wildlife destinations in the country. Covering an area of approximately 932 square kilometres. This park is a haven for wildlife enthusiasts seeking to witness a wide variety of flora and fauna.
- Bengal Tigers: Chitwan is home to an impressive population of Bengal tigers, though sightings of these elusive big cats require patience and a bit of luck.
- One-Horned Rhinoceros: One of the main attractions in the park, the Indian one-horned rhinoceros can be spotted grazing in open grasslands and near riverbanks.
- Asian Elephants: Elephant-back safaris provide a unique opportunity to observe these gentle giants up close in their natural habitat.
- Gharials and Mugger Crocodiles: Chitwan’s rivers and marshlands are inhabited by these fascinating reptiles, and boat safaris allow for close encounters with them.
- Diverse Birdlife: With over 500 species of birds, including vibrant kingfishers, graceful egrets, and rare Bengal floricans, Chitwan is a paradise for birdwatchers.
- Jungle Safari: Enjoy guided jeep safaris or opt for a more traditional experience with an elephant-back safari to explore the dense forests and grasslands of the park.
- Nature Walks: Accompanied by experienced guides, explore the wilderness on foot, learning about the flora, fauna, and unique ecosystems.
- Canoeing: Glide along the Rapti or Narayani River in traditional dugout canoes, spotting aquatic wildlife and enjoying serene views.
- Tharu Cultural Experience: Interact with the indigenous Tharu community, learning about their customs, traditions, and unique way of life.
Bardia National Park:
Situated in the western part of Nepal, Bardia National Park offers a more off-the-beaten-path safari experience. This remote and less-visited park allows for a deeper connection with nature and the wildlife it harbours.
- Royal Bengal Tigers: Bardia is renowned for its healthy population of Bengal tigers, and the park provides a higher chance of spotting these majestic creatures.
- Wild Elephants: The park is home to wild elephants that roam freely, and elephant safaris or jeep excursions offer excellent opportunities for encounters.
- Gangetic Dolphins: In the Karnali River, you might be fortunate enough to witness the endangered Gangetic dolphin gracefully swimming.
- Jeep Safari: Embark on a thrilling jeep safari to explore the diverse habitats and wildlife of Bardia.
- Birdwatching: Bardia hosts a vast array of avian species, making it a birdwatcher’s paradise.
- Nature Treks: Take guided walks through the wilderness, keeping an eye out for hidden treasures and encounters with unique wildlife.
Best Time to Visit:
The ideal time for a wildlife safari in Nepal is during the dry seasons, which typically run from October to April. During this time, wildlife congregates around water sources, increasing your chances of spotting various species.
When participating in a wildlife safari, remember to respect the animals’ space and follow the guidelines set by the park authorities. Engaging in responsible tourism practices ensures the preservation of these delicate ecosystems and the protection of the incredible wildlife that calls Nepal home.
In conclusion, a wildlife safari in Nepal is an awe-inspiring journey that promises thrilling encounters with some of the world’s most fascinating creatures. From regal tigers and gentle rhinos to graceful elephants and diverse birdlife, Nepal’s national parks offer an experience that will remain etched in your memory forever. Embrace the natural wonders, appreciate the conservation efforts, and cherish the magic of Nepal’s wildlife safari adventure.
If you’re seeking a comparable wildlife safari experience in Nepal, trip Itineraries are customizable according to your choice & the number of days you want to stay. Simply, Contact Us
Suggested Itinerary: Tiger Tracking Tour
Day 01: Fly to Nepaljung (50 minutes) & Drive to Bardia National Park (2 hrs)
Visit Elephant breading centre, Sunset view point & warm-up hike
Day 02: Full day private Jeep Safari inside Bardia National Park
With pack lunch, follow the tiger habitat Balconi, Kingfisher, Tented Camp etc.
Day 03: Full day private Jungle walk, core areas of Tiger
With pack lunch, walk in the tiger trail Tinkuni (three corners) & Chital Machan.
Day 04: Full Day Private Rafting (Wild animals, Birds & dolphin sightseeing) or Jeep Safari
A downstream drift in an inflatable raft is experience the wildlife inside the National park. Start from Karnali Bridge – 45 minutes’ drive by private jeep
Day 05: Morning Village tour, departure
Drive to Nepaljung (2.5 hrs) and fly to Kathmandu (50 minutes)